Forum

➟ Announcement: The site is moving and potentially closing. Please read THIS.

Today

More
3 years 5 months ago #8533 by SilverStone
SilverStone replied the topic: Today
I'm glad for Jess!!

I'm learning Japanese in my last year! I decided to follow Sura's advice I had asked a long time ago, and I chose to go with Japanese first. I trouble with both Korean and Japanese is the syllabic scripts. I'm used to seeing a character and associating an entire meaning and sound with it as in Chinese. In Japanese, because they use Chinese characters, as long as I associate the sound and general meaning, I'm good to go. Although I did have to learn hiragana and katakana in three days for class. It was tough...!

In the (far) future I will eventually tackle Korean, hopefully when there are more resources for language learners.

One thing I realized is that I actually don't like anime, and neither am I that fond of manga unless 1) the art is really good or 2) it's a sports manga. This really limits my options to practice reading and listening...

Does Sura have any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #8536 by Sura
Sura replied the topic: Today
I cannot help you with listening and speaking because I never had to practice for those two aspects. Those aren't needed to scanlate something.

Reading and writing are closed related, and my common sense tells me that the more you use a language, the better you will be. My English improved because I was using it every single day either through scanlating or through writing my own stories.

Therefore, I'd suggest you do the same. Try to create something with the language you are learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SilverStone

More
3 years 5 months ago #8540 by SilverStone
You're right. I'm practicing my reading in Chinese right now by retranslating from the official Taiwanese books of Giant Killing for my personal use back into English. It's not really a good idea since I'm translating from a translation, but it's good practice.

Since I'm a huge fan of Giant Killing, I plan to get the Japanese books so I can read in Japanese. But the current way I am now it's far too above my level. Haha~

---
On another note, I'm debating about buying a sports subscription to watch either baseball or association football. The thing is, I might not be watching regularly... Decisions! Costs! (And I have to find a job...)

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #8546 by Sura
I am generally a fan of football (AKA soccer in NA) manga and Giant Killing is as realistic as it gets when it comes to football aspects.

As for watching football, I know a good URL that rips matches from English Premier league and Spanish La Liga.

forum.rojadirecta.es/forumdisplay.php?15...cd82e4fc67783de8959f

You just need to pay for a download service site and you will be able to download matches in HD.

P.S. I don't watch MSL. MSL lacks the desperate desires due to lack of promotion and relegation as well as lack of UEFA Champions league.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Sura.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SilverStone

More
3 years 5 months ago #8549 by SilverStone
So awesome! Thank you! This is cheaper than subscribing to different TV networks, plus the initial cost of having cable. I was so far contenting myself with YouTube, but so much better.

Thank you!!

And yeah, I really like how more realistic Giant Killing is. I like it better than Ookiku Furikabutte, but that one is really good, too. I sometimes wonder, though, if the author is stressing pitch types too much, since from what I understand most professional pitchers limit themselves to only a few pitch types.

More
3 years 5 months ago #8550 by Sura
I am interested in only football when it comes to sports. I don't tend to watch other sports anime. But speaking of baseball anime, Major was a trash. I can't believe they made so many episodes of it.

More
3 years 5 months ago #8553 by SilverStone
I have never heard of Major. I'm curious, so I'll look it up, but I'll take your suggestion in mind.

Today
Went shopping for gloves. Bought three pairs in the end, although one pair is fingerless. It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be, but my bare hands did get chilled. I spent a lot of money today, especially since I had to fill up the gas tank. >< Before I go to China where I have heard and had verified several times the quality of merchandise in China is very poor, I was told that the most important thing to bring were dependable shoes, especially walking/running/tennis shoes, I am slowly buying things that are on sale that I would need. I bought a pair of good, comfortable runners.

On a side note, I'm wondering if my feet size have gone up. 7.5 no longer feels comfortable to me, even with casual shoes. I have always worn size 8 for tennis shoes, though. (Am I getting fat or growing in some direction!?)

More
3 years 5 months ago #8555 by Arrocee
Arrocee replied the topic: Today
@Silver I'm surprised lol. your taste sounds so bizarre (coming from a person who gobbles up romance manga like madd) not sure i've ever watched/read sports manga/anime, the closest might be Samurai Deeper Kyo, K-On, or this one shoujo which features a tennis club.

yes, I know how ridiculous my "examples" are. lol

If you don't like much else, how'd you end up coming across Surasplace?

More
3 years 4 months ago #8713 by Arrocee
Arrocee replied the topic: Today
X post from another forum, 'cause I still think about you guys and wonder how your lives are going :) :
How are ya all doin O.O

So my semester is wrapping up, but without me wrapping up with it, since various fiascos with my writing assignments and productivity have occurred. I got extensions for 2 out of my 3.5 classes. So I'll have to take care of those all throughout winter break. >.< I'm going to be workin with coco too. Oh well, I hope that I make this break a really productive one, just because, well, I kind of need it to be with thesis and all. xD

Also job search. *cries*

>.< I don't know if all the peeps use Tinder nowadays, but whenever I use it, I just get myself into trouble. I can't handle guy stuff, but then I always take up requests to hang out or even consider the prospect of a sexual tryst. I'm stupid.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #8793 by SilverStone
Juggling level one Japanese and German.

I already had some background in German, most of which I forgot. But after spending an ungodly amount of time memorizing all the different ways one counts in Japanese (come on, can't you just pronounce them one way only!? I know Korean has something similar.), I takes me a lot longer to pull see a number and read it in German instead of in Japanese. This weekend will be intensive German review. T-T

@Arro: What do you mean by 3.5 classes? What is a 0.5 class?
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by SilverStone.