Today was Korea SAT day.

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #9212 by Sura
Sura created the topic: Today was Korea SAT day.
The infamous Korean SAT which is held once a year was held.

I've written numerous articles on the Korean SAT. The bottom line is that it sucks for mental health.

Haunted life | Korea's problem

Once the exam is held, the exam papers are released to public so that people may take a look at it.

I am uploading English exam PDF here since you wouldn't be able to read other exams.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Sura.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago #9263 by blade
blade replied the topic: Today was Korea SAT day.
nothing wrong with a little stress in ones life. but seriously in my country we had something similar done at age 11-12 that i went though. I think it has some pros can cons. defiantly a old school method of assessment.

3 months 1 week ago #9497 by mbr
mbr replied the topic: Today was Korea SAT day.
Academic qualifications seem to be an accepted way to discriminate between potential talents to decide who could best take the limited places in the tertiary institutions. Due to that perception, those who did not perform well are often treated as "second-rate" or leftovers. Not all the time, though.

In Malaysia, we used to have 4 stages of nationwide examinations.
1) After 6 years of primary school education, you have a primary education assessment to decide how you should proceed to secondary school.

This is because there are multiple vernacular schools at primary education level (age 7-12) with teaching done in their preferred language, eg Mandarin or Tamil. The assessment will sort of predict if a student can go straight into secondary school or spend an extra year in transition class to catch up on the proficiency in usage of the national language as medium of teaching.

For secondary school education, the first 3 years (age 13-15) is general subjects, while next 2 years is done as a Science stream or Arts stream focus. That is the extent of the compulsory education.

2) At the end of 3rd year of secondary education, you have a national lower secondary school assessment, to decide which stream to continue your studies in...

You have core subjects of Mathematics, English, national language, History and Civic studies... then in Science stream you get Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Advanced mathematics, while Art stream get subjects such as Accounting principles, Arts class, Malay literature and English literature.

3) at the end of 5 years of secondary education, you have the General Education Certificate, which is the minimum accepted qualification for most jobs.

You could enter some diploma/degree courses with this certificate but your choices are limited.

4) If you have the inclination and decent scores (probably top 20%) in General certificate, you could then spend another 1.5 years to get Higher Certificate of Education. At the same time, you have a university English proficiency assessment

With this cert, you can apply to universities and with luck, you might be selected.
But through the years, there have been many small reforms in education, leading to confusion of students and teachers alike.

-Teaching of Mathematics and Science subjects in English was a hot-and-cold flip-flop issue...
-National assessment done by school teachers only rather than national grading...