Forum

Joint request for Sura

• Thank you received: 55

Sura replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

I have a policy of not picking up anything from Naver.

The specific webtoon you quoted is from Naver.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Doonge replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Someone, a long time ago, approached me with the overlay program. But there is a big problem with that. It is that webtoons itself are sometimes not permanent. A fair amount of webtoons I've been keeping my eyes on moved its home from here and there. Few webtoons I was going to work on disappeared from the face of the Internet even. The overlay program can only work if the original material exists and its location is firm.
Webtoons from the top 3 (Naver, Daum, and Nate) are likely going to be staying there permanently. But webtoons from smaller places are very unlikely stay there permanently.

So, the old method works the best; grab the raws and work with it.

Somehow, it's also a good thing that the overlay depends on a legal platform. It's inherently more legal. Plus, nothing prevents you from keeping the full work and either release it as soon as the legal paltform disappear, or wait until the webtoon resurface somewhere else.

For instance, my first webtoon (first thing I read where I had to scroll down so much ^^) was Ensemble, by Yubi. It was, I believe, originally on param (?) even though I read it on webtoonlive reader. My heart wavers, because I made sure to save webtoon's live work on my hard drive (that's how I am, I don't trust other's platforms in the long term, I want to HAVE what I like ^^). Anyway, it is now on olleh ( webtoon.olleh.com/toon/timesList.kt?webtoonseq=29 though 2 extra chapters are missing), and it would be very straightforward to transform my files into overlays that would work for olleh. The process of migrating is quite easy: the webtoon remained the same.

We started doing overlays because we really wanted to pursue scanlating Cheese in the Trap, by bypassing their legal ground. Nothing more. You are totally right in saying Naver and Daum might not care at all about the hits (it's something people apparently desire to believe and I dispell that notion when I can), but they could exploit the traffic (target advertisement, etc..). The ball is in their camp.

Olleh used to strictly offer paid webtoons but they now offer free to view webtoons site after facing competitions from various points. Recently, they held a contest and have recruited few new webtoon authors and they have several new promising webtoons going on right now, all of them are currently on my list to monitor. (4 of them, I believe)

Daum actually said they didn't care about hits because it was too easy to be manipulated but that comment got backfired. Still, hits is only 10% of the score. Its virtually meaningless.
Furthermore, Daun's latest webtoon contest felt highly rigged and Daum issued a statement saying that they had their reasons for choosing specific webtoons as prize winners.

I am not going into the legal things because I know they are against this and that it is wrong. None of authors I've met had anything positive to say about scanlations and translations of webtoons. I did quit scanlation as a result however.
Basically, the translating act itself is wrong to begin with, so we (you, me, and others who translate) don't stand any chance.

• Thank you received: 1

Ixis replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Well, even more importantly, Nowhere Boy is pay to view.

But I thought you were no longer scanlating regardless?

I quit scanlation about a year ago. I think you are mixing up terminology. Not that there are official meanings for the terminologies.
Scanlation : Purchase books + scan + clean + edit + translate.

I've considered translating webtoons as translation instead of scanlation because the scan and purchase parts are omitted as well as cleaning part.
And, yes, I am quitting "progressively". I intent to finish the ones I have at the moment along with few more selections from my list. There are few on my list that should see the light.

Doonge replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

For me scanlation is anything that involves non commercial translation of comics, whether webtoon or not.
I do not have much terminology though, but if you have one to propose for webtoons that is NOT just "translation" (you deemed it yourself WRONG), then I'll use it. In the absence of any term, I'm using scanlation.

I just noticed that Olleh switched Ensemble to paid-per-view or membership-required (I have no idea). Meh.

I have not much opinion about the big three contest. If they are rigged, I guess it's a bad thing (gives bad publicity anyway). But what makes those contest so important is the fact those web publishers are so big and indetronable. If you don't have visibility there, you have none. What give them so much power? In my opinion, exclusivity rights gives them too much leverage to keep themselves the biggest, and kill competition. One goes here or there because they have exclusives, not because they are better or pay more authors.
I find it strange that one author can sell his copyright, and lose the rights. It shouldn't be something sellable. Your creation is yours, and you should be able to sell it to whomever you want anytime.

Could a young korean create a legal aggregator, where he openly give a big cut of his ads revenues to the authors, and have all the korean webtoons in it? No, because exclusive rights: the authors are not allowed to lend them their creations.

And copyright is a very complex thing. Curiously, it makes you say things like "the translating act itself is wrong to begin with", which echoes strangeness on its own face.

The big three contests are important for few reasons.

1. The top prize is big unlike contests from small webtoon sites. The top prize is about 10.000 US dollars.
2. The grand prize winner receives more opportunities (as in chances of turning them into a drama or movies) as well as recommendations.
3. The top three has good connections to publishers which allow you to publish your own book at cheaper rates. The top three will also advertise them on your behalf.

It's how to dethrone them because ...

The top three are all backed up up by big companies. Money = power.

There is no online manga reader sites in Korea but there are phone apps where it will list well known webtoons sites as well as providing live updates on their status. They simply provide links and updates by rss.

viz replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

"nowhere boy" is from naver what a downer
i guess now i should learn to read korean
can anyone help me in learning a new language

• Thank you received: 1

Ixis replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

I agree, scanlation isn't really a proper term for translating webtoons, however, since that's what people use I just go with it. Translations are usually meant as something that isn't edited in any form -- that is, a plain script (which you have done off and on, and are now going to do strictly, so translations would be correct) but if you clean and edit the translations onto the page (which aren't even scans...) I guess people feel it should be called scanlation whether there's scanning involved or not. ^^;

There are a lot of resources online to learn foreign languages, including Korean.
The problem in this case is, you have to be a Korean citizen to even be able to purchase Nowhere Boy to read. So even if you learn it, you're fxxed unless you either become a Korean citizen or find a kind-hearted Korean citizen online to make the purchase for you. Reason being they require a Korean SSN and credit card.

Guest - D
awwww, did you drop this? ;-;
Download link available.
One of my first manhwas and my favorite so far. The plot is delivered to the readers in a unique way...
Hello! Can I get a download link for this project please? I would like to read it
Wow... That was a pretty nice story. Quite touching for me. I liked the mystery as well.
Thank you ...
hello,
what should i do to have the links for perfect couple?
and if you have an idea to where i c...
In my opinion, Wanderer's ace is better. It's shorter and has bolder messages.
Glad you liked it I enjoyed editing it.
There's a related story titled Haunted School: Wanderer's ...