Forum

Joint request for Sura

• Thank you received: 55

Sura replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Ixis wrote: So it seems when authors don't feel restricted and can do what they want it makes for a lot better and more interesting stories. Obviously a lot of webtoon artists want some views so they can get paid so they have to put effort into it, but they're basically free to do what they want and not have to stick to a certain mold.

Some webtoons authors are contracted. The author of Dalsez is on a contract. But those are very few. It's safe to say that 95% of webtoon authors are on no contract.

Currently, there are increasing number of pay-to-view webtoon sites but they simply pay to host webtoons on their websites. They do not interfere with authors' works. In some cases, some of pay-to-view webtoons become free after it's completed.

So, there are some movements that try to commercialize webtoon market but personally I would say it's nothing to worry about. Any webtoon authors who want to turn pro must get noticed on one of the top three places: Daum, Naver, and Nate.
If one goes anywhere else, he will get almost no chance of turning pro but there are those who have no interest in turning pro, so those minor sites serve their purpose; it gives them wider choices.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Ixis replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Ah, yeah, I thought that was probably the case with a few of them. I knew that with Naver if you're a challenge or best challenge you don't really have to stick to anything, but once you past the best challenge you're expected to at least stick to a weekly schedule (though you can take breaks if you have a good enough reason). But that was about all.

That's pretty interesting. I only knew of the opposite, where it's free and then later becomes pay-to-view. @_@

I'm glad! I really enjoy webtoons and I'd hate for them to become commercialized (;´Д`)

Ixis wrote: That's pretty interesting. I only knew of the opposite, where it's free and then later becomes pay-to-view. @_@

On top three (Daum, Naver, and Nate), most webtoons start out as free. Once completed, authors are sometimes advised to make them pay-to-view. The author can choose to receive a small fee to sell the right for them to acquire the webtoon or choose to receive whatever margin the host sets. Or the author can choose set them pay-to-view.

Now, for those already pay-to-view webtoons sites, once a webtoon is completed and some time is passed, it becomes free to view sometimes to generate traffic once its commercial value is done.

In some cases, pay-to-view chapters have a grace period. The Underdog falls in this case where pay-to-view chapters have "D-45" meaning you may choose to pay to view the chapter or wait 45 days when it will become free to view.

FYI, it's generally one dollar (to view) per chapter at the moment.

Wow. I think I prefer that way, since I'm pretty patient and there's no risk of it going pay to view later, since it was already pay to view. Plus I think I'd get mad paying for something and then there being the option to read it free later. lol (Yeah, I'm that cheap :x)
A dollar per chapter... wow, the stuff that's initially free usually costs a dollar for a bunch of chapters (like Trace 1.5 cost 1 dollar for 11-39... although it's a "rental", and you can only access it for three days...)

• cocoyam
  • Chick
  • Chick
  • Hello, I'm cocoyam.
  • Thank you received: 8

cocoyam replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Speaking of naver, I know one webtoon that is probably one of the most popular on there (and gaining popularity in the Western audience as well) that has been scanlated in an interesting fashion: Cheese in the Trap. Odd Squad Scanlations has been doing an overlay translation that directly replaces the Korean text with the English translation on the comic website, so the author still gets the page views which goes toward her profit. I thought this was really an innovative solution, although I believe now Naver is commissioning an official English translation (which English readers have said to be quite inferior to the scanlation team work), so we don't know the fate of the scanlation, whether it will continue indefinitely.

In any case, I just thought that was interesting and would mention it. Odd Squad is also doing another popular webtoon, Pink Lady. Don't know if Sura has any opinion on these two popular webtoons, I'd be glad to hear it if so.
www.oddsquad.org/

My avatar is from Balancing Toy by Yamakawa Aiji!

Naver is too corrupted for me to deal with. You can see that none of my webtoon projects come from Naver. Besides, hits won't matter to Naver (or Daum) because hit count can easily be manipulated.
Daum, the top 3 with Naver being #1, is also heading to heavy corruptions.

Someone, a long time ago, approached me with the overlay program. But there is a big problem with that. It is that webtoons itself are sometimes not permanent. A fair amount of webtoons I've been keeping my eyes on moved its home from here and there. Few webtoons I was going to work on disappeared from the face of the Internet even. The overlay program can only work if the original material exists and its location is firm.
Webtoons from the top 3 (Naver, Daum, and Nate) are likely going to be staying there permanently. But webtoons from smaller places are very unlikely stay there permanently.

So, the old method works the best; grab the raws and work with it.

Wow, webtoons have disappeared?! That blows. :|

I had no idea hit count was easily manipulated. Huh :x

Ixis wrote: Wow, webtoons have disappeared?! That blows. :|

I had no idea hit count was easily manipulated. Huh :x

A big example is (or was to me and many others) was the closure of Yahoo Korea. Yahoo Korea had a fairly decent webtoon section but it got closed as a result. A very good webtoon was there which got lost. It was only recent that it came back years later to the webtoon scene but its home is a small webtoon site now. I am keeping a close attention on it and will begin work on it as soon as I am done with Spring, Fall.

There was also another webtoon that got pulled off the Internet. It was from a small webtoon section of a publisher's site. It could come back but it hasn't so far.

As I said, webtoons from the top 3 are likely to stay there but those who couldn't put their webtoons on there do move their homes often in search for a better deal or a better environment.

While I avoid Naver and recently Daum, I spend hours every day digging into the deepest area of webtoons in search for gems and I have a long list of webtoons I plan to work on.

Oooh. Yeah, I didn't really know there were webtoons outside of the big three. I thought it was pretty much them and param and that was it;; Though I've only seen one thing from param scanlated into English, and two of Nate's. That really sucks that they were lost, though I'm glad one managed to come back! Things being lost on the internet in general is a real drag ;_; I hope the other one comes back around *w* Though, I understand why the authors would want to put their stuff in a better place!

Ah, you're recently avoiding Daum too? Is something going on with them now as well? (-_ლ)

I greatly appreciate your efforts!! I like all of the stuff you've worked on so far and I look forward to these hard-earned webtoons
。oΟ( ` ◒´ )

• Thank you received: 0

viz replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Hi!

First i would like to thank you a lot for bringing so many good reads for us and translating them so that they can be reached to wider audience.
and also would like to know that the series Useful Good For Nothing is ending at which chapter

The series i would like to request is "Nowhere Boy" mangapark.com/manga/nowhere-boy

This series has been translated up to 28 chapters but the remaining 7 chapters are not yet translated i would really be happy if you could pick this series and translate the remaining chapters.

This series is really something when i was through first chapter i was unable to stop and read all the 28 chapters in one go.

hello,
what should i do to have the links for perfect couple?
and if you have an idea to where i c...
In my opinion, Wanderer's ace is better. It's shorter and has bolder messages.
Glad you liked it I enjoyed editing it.
There's a related story titled Haunted School: Wanderer's ...
Guest - KawaiiLovah
Aww that's the ending? and here I was thinking they may have more adventures to show us.. It was a g...
Download link has been added. But I worked on until vol 8, no further than that.
Hello. I really like this story n i wish to know how its ending. I wish to read this story till the ...
Guest - zxcvbnm,.
She got her wish, sort of.
And pur queen is a sleeping badass. :d
Account manually activated.
What is your e-mail address in question?