Forum

Joint request for Sura

• Thank you received: 0

Na Na replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Hello there, Sura!

I apologize if I offend you in anyway for suggesting you any series, but do you mind looking at these two Daum series?

Night Veranda: webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/view/nightveranda
His Toy: webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/view/histoy

As I do not know how to translate Korean, I can only guess by what on earth goes on in the panels, ha ha. But, I do enjoy the art, so I admire the background and colors most of all. =) Anyways, I think both are a bit drama-y, if you know what I mean. I believe Night Veranda is about a girl who is constantly abused by her parents, and how she deals with her life with a childhood friend (???). There are only seven episodes for His Toy (the art is very sketchy, but it's unique), but I am guessing that it is about two boys who like this one girl who is bullied. (Okay, you are probably shaking your head saying, "Why on earth did you recommend me a shoujo love triangle?") But, I think there might be more to that (not sure though), as I think both have that psychological genre in them (which is why I was interested in them).

Anyways, what do you think?

(And by the way, thank you for translating "The Chronicles of Myo-Jin." The art is nice and it is awesome seeing folk-tales told, or rather, drawn out.)

Thank you for reading!

• Thank you received: 56

Sura replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

I did not choose the chronicle of Myo-Jin. Koti did, so thank him. (By sending him a PM or something, so he knows he's appreciated.)

As for the two webtoons you mentioned; I don't have opinions on them. I've read both. I read Night Veranda some time ago actually. It wasn't neither bad or good. And His toy is too early to rate.

Thanks for responding back, Sura!

Night Veranda does seem kind of like a depressing manga... and His Toy already seems to have a dark atmosphere as seen by the drawing style... Hopefully, both will be interesting to the readers though! (Although I still have no idea what His Toy is about though...sadly...)

Sura, if I may ask for your opinion, how long do you think it would take for a person to learn how to read Korean (with no background)? Let's say if I were to start trying to learn how to read Korean (and this is with a skill of taking about a minute to read one speech bubble), do you think it would take me a couple of years? 3-4 years?

p.s. I also PMed Koti. He seems to be very excited about the Myo-Jin series!

Speed of learning a new language generally depends on your mother tongue.

For an example, if you know Japanese, learning Korean is blissfully easier and vice versa.

Now, if your mother tongue is English, your biggest enemy will be honorifics and levels of politeness in the language itself because depending on politeness, entire sentences can sound entirely different.

But I honestly don't know how long it would take to learn a different language sufficient enough to be able to read webtoons. Webtoons like Steel rain use higher levels of Korean whereas webtoons like Useful GFN uses everyday (easier to use) language.

If I use my case as an example, I started out with basic knowledge of English and I was self-taught casually by translating instead of a normal educational method. It took around 3 or 4 years for me to get better at general sentencing and took me 10ish years to start improvising translations.
What I mean "Improvising translation" means, instead of trying to translate accurately, I choose what might sound better in English. This method allows me to translate really fast.

So, I assume, if you dedicate yourself to learning a new language, 1 or 2 years should get you to a level where you might be able to read and understand webtoons. If casually, probably twice more. All will depend on your will and determination as well as your raw talent.

• Thank you received: 1

Ixis replied the topic: Joint request for Sura

Though I haven't learned Korean (beyond the alphabet...), for pretty much any language the more you put into it the faster you learn it. It sounds really cliche but that's the extent of it. It takes some people 4 years to learn all the kanji, but it's possible to memorize them all within six months. But that's because I put a lot of time into it every day and never relented. (!!) The best way to learn is to immerse yourself in the language as much as possible -- watch Korean shows, read Korean news sites and blogs, because that way you learn the grammar as well as the vocabulary. A good method is also reading raws of titles that have also been scanlated so you have a translation to compare your own translation to (or, if you get stuck on a word).

In any case I'd probably say that within a year you should be able to get through basic/simple stuff if you put a few hours into it every day. But reading is definitely important. It's really the only way to read faster. @_@

One of the nice things about Korean, as opposed to Chinese or Japanese, is the alphabet is really simple ;_; I memorized it within a couple hours :9

Thank you Ixis and Sura for responding to me!

I really enjoy Korean webtoons, and it just simply amazes me how these authors are able to publish a whole strip of beautiful art every single week. (Although I know some of them work as a group, but still, it is great!)

Years ago, I was thinking of learning Japanese because of my fondness of manga, but it was hard to find the raws for some of the series, and some series were let go and some went on hiatus, etc. But when I learned of webtoons a couple of years ago (and thanks to Sura for introducing me to Daum and Naver) I realized that there was a whole database of gorgeous art in story form! (Sorry, I like to draw and paint myself, so that is why you hear me blabbering about art all the time, ha ha.) But then, it even surprised me to learn that one chapter was released every week. I know that "popular" manga such as One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc. are published every week, but I never was really interested in those series... (okay, okay, when I was younger I loved watching Naruto) but some webtoons (from the translations) were very unique, and I was just so happy to find these types of stories rather than the same plot lines repeated in the Japanese manga series (but of course, there are the awesome rare ones too, don't get me wrong).

That is why I changed my mind, and wanted to learn Korean in the end. I know that it is going to be tough, of course, learning a new language and all, but reading webtoons and just looking at some of the artwork is just a favorite hobby that I enjoy, and I wanted to expand my knowledge on it (sorry, run on sentence here). Ixis, if it is what you say, then I could possibly learn how to read (on a basic level) in about 2-3 years if I really practice. I can't put in a couple of hours a day, but perhaps 1-2 hours a day can be sufficient in a 2-3 year time span. Ixis, can you read Korean fluently now after practicing learning it?

And Sura, that's amazing that you self-taught yourself English! If I had just "met" you now, I would have thought that you were already a native English speaker as from your writings, ha ha.

And also, I wanted to say this to you, Sura, but congratulations on the expansion of your website! I know you have loyal followers, so I know that they are glad to see that your website has gained so much popularity recently. Webtoons is on the rise now, so you got yourself a good attention-grabber! Keep up the great work and thanks for all the hard work that you do for us, fans!

(And I apologize as I totally got off topic from the whole point of this forum post... heh heh...)

I've written an article about webtoon, titled Webtoon 101. Give it a shot : www.surasplace.com/index.php/theinn-webt...819-webtoon-101.html

As for leaning the language, you just have to start. Once you start, you will get somewhere. As an expression goes, managing to start is half of everything.

If you compare my old scsanlations from 2003 or so and compare the translations of 2014, I am sure there will be vast differences.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Na Na

Agreed, though I'm a big manga fan and there are some great series out there, I find webtoons to be a lot more varied and interesting on the whole. And that's also why I wanted to learn Korean -- there are so many series out there still that haven't been released in English at all!! But, I'm lazy and only got so far as learning the alphabet. I'm not really fluent while reading; I'd say it's probably the speed that a first grader reads? >_>;; Haha
But, I didn't really keep up with it so it's due to a lack of effort rather than difficulty!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Na Na

One of major problems with Japanese manga is that the whole industry is too heavily commercialized, meaning authors are forced to go with proven methods. They want their manga to be animated which will bring in huge profits because selling manga itself doesn't bring in much.

The whole problem lies with profitability. This also causes fats to be added to plots.

Because webtoon was conceived to be free in the first place, there is much less sense of having to produce profit. Many authors see webtoons as a stepping stone before they could turn pro, so they become a lot more creative with less / no fat.

All in all, I do feel webtoon is superior than manga at this point.

Yup. And even if the author themselves want to do certain things, it's turned down by the editors/publishers because they're concerned with sales. Funnily enough, Shingeki no Kyojin's author first went to Shueisha to try to get SnK published there. They told him he would have to change this and that, so he instead went to Kodansha and they didn't make such demands, and lo and behold SnK became insanely huge/popular with ridiculous sales only topped by One Piece (!)

So it seems when authors don't feel restricted and can do what they want it makes for a lot better and more interesting stories. Obviously a lot of webtoon artists want some views so they can get paid so they have to put effort into it, but they're basically free to do what they want and not have to stick to a certain mold.