Forum

Today

More
3 weeks 19 hours ago - 3 weeks 19 hours ago #9562 by Arrocee
Arrocee replied the topic: Today
I was just telling my mom I might need to start placing GPS chips on my stuff. I'm always losing my things :(

@mbr, wow... I'm really glad you're still around! We need good people like you on this Earth. What speciality are you doing? And... what's a study trip o_O

I'm gonna start posting on here more often. Today I spent a lot of time napping (went to bed at 1 am and got up at 6 am to work out) and then quite some time iterating on my planning docs for the year (re: having a vision doc and doing retrospectives on each month and keeping track of the week relative to my goals).

Totally didn't work on my project or plan for an important phone call, though, which was the bulk of what I was supposed to do today.

I nicely told off one fwb (from the past) and am talking to someone who might be my next. He is really attractive and I think we have good rapport so far.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 19 hours ago by Arrocee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #9563 by mbr
mbr replied the topic: Today
I am 2.5 years into my Doctor in Public Health Medicine. :-)

Next week, the whole class and some lecturers will be going to Hanoi for a visit to the various health related departments, such as the Faculty of health at a university, the local health offices, as well as the Pasteur Institute, if I recall the program correctly. Checking out how they run health in their local setting and how they manage health related issues, such as providing universal health coverage and working towards other SDG goals. www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/sustai...velopment-goals.html

Exam results will be made known tomorrow. Hope no need for any resits which will waste the Vietnam trip expenses.

It took a while for me to understand your fwb :) I am married after all :p

More
1 week 5 days ago #9567 by Arrocee
Ooh, Hanoi! Hopefully you get to sightsee a bit even if you're there for learning purposes... Would that America consider universal healthcare too >.>

Today I was hoping to work at least a little, but I was busy with an appointment, meeting with a friend for lunch, and then doing a small bit of shopping. I might go home and study but it's already 6 pm!!

I've been vaguely brooding on various topics and am not sure how much the brooding is worthwhile and how much of it is just unnecessary. Essentially I'm judging myself for social competence though, and whether or not I am or SHOULD BE as much the social butterfly I feel pressure to be.

I organized a group social activity (ice skating!!!) for my school and we have 30 people signed up, and part of me is feeling like an imposter because usually someone more gregarious and outgoing would be the one to do all this... In the end I just want it to be fun for everyone.

And I think I've either gotten shin splints or given myself a stress fracture while longboarding because it hurts my shin to apply any pressure with that leg :(

More
1 week 5 days ago #9568 by Arrocee
Oh, re: FWB, yes, I know you're from a more traditional background mbr :) I hope the marriage has gone well. I remember you posting about the arrangement back in the day!

FWB and I did not have as much chemistry in person as I was hoping for and I've even half considered cutting the arrangement off. But he is awfully convenient to meet up with and I like messaging him and he could be good for some things. So idk. I might trial the thing out one more time before I decide.

More
1 week 5 days ago #9572 by Arle
Arle replied the topic: Today
Although we don't know each other well, I am glad you survived and are still around, mbr. Tell us more about your trip to Hanoi :)

@Arro: I saw your long boarding video with Coco~ it looked fun! I am too shy to comment publicly though haha. If the pain gets worse, it would be best to have it checked up. /Learned the hard way that lower body injury shouldn't be taken lightly :p

Took me a while too to get the meaning of FWB. It is somewhat surprising yet also refreshing that you are quite frank about you more mature part of life, Arro :) The circles of friends I have here are more reserved when it comes to that. I met a really friendly girl a few weekends ago and apparently she was being judged badly for being freer in her lifestyle. I guess open-mindedness is limited to your own personal value. A person who hangs out more with the opposite sex is often perceived as loose, especially if they come from a conservative society.

Hmm... Aside from being busy with work, I am basically living la vida lazy. Had a minor melt down last year and this year I'm taking it easy. This morning I woke up at 2AM, craved for gochujang fried rice, and fried up one. I also tried to do at least 10 push-ups a day starting with knee push ups and hopefully transition to full version later on (I have no arm muscles >.<).

Also today I finally get to read SnK chapter 101.

More
1 week 4 days ago #9573 by Arrocee
@Arle: it’s refreshing to hear that you find it refreshing! I like feeling like I can be honest and not quibble about my lifestyle to others, but I understand that there are a lot of charged notions about casual sex in many parts of society. (On the other hand, maybe personal matters are personal matters and I unnecessarily over disclose). Anyway my mom actually considers me a “woman with no morals” (and I put that in my twitter bio lmao). But I think that if guys aren’t judged for having casual sex, women shouldn’t be either. I do have to be aware of my own reasons for seeking out casual sex partners and if it’s a healthy pattern of behavior though.

I talk about my lifestyle online because I like expressing myself but in real life I try to stay discreet and only allow that I hook up to close friends I trust.

ANYWAY heck yeah push-ups = path to buff ness. There’s this challenge I like called “Sally” where you push-up and then hold your plank to the song Flowers by Moby. I had to work my way up to doing one proper push-up as well but eventually I could do 25 in a row. I’m weak now though and can only do 15 max. I also like doing pullups.

I’m glad it sounds like you are taking it easy, appreciating the small things in life, and taking care of yourself Arle :P

Ok long post. I got in a heated discussion with my mom about politics in the morning and then went to a coffee shop to cool off, but there’s no WiFi. WHAT CAFE IN SAN FRANCISCO COMES WITHOUT WIFI??? So I’ve just been on my phone for the past hour catching up with messages and replying. Instead of heading to school right away I’ll probably head to the library to work. Anyway I don’t know halos to handle the ideological differences between my mom and I and it feels slightly bad man.

More
1 week 4 days ago #9574 by Arrocee
*scrolls through past posts in this thread and gets all misty-eyed* damn it I loved this place *_*

More
1 week 2 days ago #9575 by mbr
mbr replied the topic: Today
Hello everyone! Back from Vietnam on Friday evening.

It was quite an interesting trip to a country where the hands of Communism still play a big role. We were able to meet the local health teams and understand the things from their perspective, and I was able to chat with some people at the markets on their perspective too.

It's not my first visit to Hanoi, so I appreciate the small changes since my last trip. Well, here are some photos...

Our group with the tour guide.

At their university library. In the days of electronic information, are books still being opened at all?

Meeting up with staff at the Health Education and Communication Centre in Hai Phong

Checking the immunization at Hanoi Preventive Medicine Centre

Shopping in Hai Phong

Shopping in Hanoi (Dong Xuan market)

One of the dinners... 12 pax squeezing around a 10 pax table

At Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum... photo taken at a forbidden zone. Other areas ok.

More
1 week 20 hours ago #9580 by Arle
Arle replied the topic: Today
@mbr: ahh the food looked so good :drools: I guess people don't open books as much anymore since you can find a lot of information online. When I was still in uni (6 years ago I think), I used to hang out at library reading obscure psychoanalytics instead of books related to my own major haha. I've never been to Hanoi before. Went to Ho Chi Minh once and got harassed by a guy who came over and started pretending to fix my mate's perfectly okay shoes. He then asked for 10 dollars -.- almost got into a fight with him before my travel mate shoved 10k Dong at him and asked him to get lost nicely.

@arro: ditto! I feel like people should talk more about sex ed instead of being silent and end up making a mistake and then say they didn't know that unprotected sex could lead to pregnancy -.- Are you still using tinder? I've tried casual sex before (not through Tinder), but after a few times it just got boring and time consuming. I felt happier just staying at home reading manga :p

Speaking of reading, just spent a few days reading and rereading Cheese In The Trap webtoon. All the feelsssss ugh. Baek Inho is so precious and deserves the brightest things. I don't remember if Sura ever picked up translating this series? For me it's definitely up there along with Secret Garden and I'll definitely enjoy rereading it again in the future.

More
1 week 4 hours ago - 1 week 4 hours ago #9582 by Arrocee
Arle :screaming_emoji: You and coco must have the SAME brain because she just spent the last few days catching up on Cheese in the Trap (after a year of not reading). I still think she's not caught up yet.

Re: casual sex, I know what you mean, and that's why I got turned off hookups and whatnot for a while. I have had some really gratifying encounters but it's highly variable and unless there's a lot of compatibility, it's often just eh. Time consuming, physically draining, and anxiety inducing (having to worry about contracting diseases) for not that much return. Still, because I've had some great experiences, I get drawn back to the idea every once in a while. I'm looking for my unicorn - someone super close by and convenient who can host me, who's emotionally and intellectually interesting to me (hard for me to be that into it otherwise), who is physically attractive, and who touches me just the right way. Turns out it's hard to find someone like that. But it's not worth it to me unless it's easy and rewarding, you know?

Actually there is one guy who's not so easy to visit but I've always enjoyed my times with him enough to go for it anyway. But he's super elusive, go figure.

Anyway, I endeavor to find that unicorn sometimes, but I'm actually not using Tinder for that at the moment. I am on the lookout on Bumble and Tinder for someone who will be my Valentine's on the 14th, so I don't sit at home and get bitter about all my failed romances. :P This (matching and talking to matches) could get boring soon though.

@mbr: I know this is a frivolous thing to bring up of all things, but I hope you got to eat some nem chua in Vietnam (one of the meats looks like it could be it in your photos)!!!! I LOVE that stuff.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 hours ago by Arrocee.