Forum

Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

• Thank you received: 55

Sura created the topic: Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

I am sure some of you've seen and heard this news by now.

A (South) Korean ferry carrying 475 students + teachers to Jeju island for a school trip capsized in middle of sea.

The cause : The captain turned the ship too rapidly, causing cargo and cars to move to one side of the ferry, resulting a swift shift of weight point. The end result was that the ship lost balance and fell to one side.

The worse : The captain fled the ship with the 1st life boat, leaving the student and others waiting for an advice on what to do. The captain did make an announcement, telling the others "to stay where they are". He fled after.

The worst : The captain insists that that is not the case although ship crew say above is pretty much what happened.

The worst part 2 : The captain never sent SOS and apparently was too busy fleeing. Only one lifeboat was deployed and it was the one he used to flee. Other passing shop found the ship capsized and notified the authorities. Parents also notified the police after receiving texts from their kids.
But, again, they were never contacted by the ship's captain. Crew, on the other hand, made contacts.

Casualties : Out of 475 ... (At the time of this first post)

Confirmed dead: 25
Rescued: 179
Missing (presumed dead): 271.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Aletheia replied the topic: Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

I've heard about it in the news.
I also just read about it in the morning paper. It said the captain left the ship onto the hands of a young (26 years old) and inexperienced ship-man.
They have taken a gicantic crane there to try to get the ship up and are constantly pumping air under water to the ship, just in case, but don't really believe anyones alive.
It also sayd the captain fled and is reported missing as a wanted person. Guess they found him?

Sura replied the topic: Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

1. According to a report, the same model had exactly the same kind of accident in Japan back in 2009, meaning the ship basically had a design flaw.
And the ship was sold at material cost, meaning it was sold very cheaply. Although in Japan's accident, everyone made out thanks to a proper captain.

2. The major disappointment for Koreans has been the fact that they never managed to get in. They barely got in after 4 days. Missing people are now definitely dead. There is absolutely no way anyone can survive with limited air, no water, no food, and cold sea water for 4 days. The families say maybe still but logic says none can survive.

3. Vice principal who was one of the first ones to be recused hung himself. His will says: "I apologize." I don't feel he bears any fault however. He just happened to be at a location where he was saved earlier.

4. No, I don't think the captain escaped. He better stay with the police for his sake. Every Korean knows his face and, if he gets out, I am pretty sure he will be beaten to death.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Anna Pham

Communication log between crew of the capsized ship and the coast guard has been released.

And it has caused massive uproar.

The ship's crew had ..., (pardon my language but this case deserves it) f**king 31 minutes before the ship started to sink rapidly. The log shows that the crew kept on asking whether they could be recused ASAP and refused to answer when the coast guard asked them how the passengers were doing.
When pressed hard about passengers by the coast guard over comm., they said they didn't know. (and more likely didn't care)

31 minutes. They had enough time to inform the passengers and deploy lifeboats. They had enough time to evacuate all students. Yet, what they did was deploy their own lifeboat and left all other passengers aboard.

The log also shows that nearby ships contacted them when the ship lost its balance. The crew refused to start preparation for evacuation when advised by nearby ships.

Some Koreans are now asking the police to release them so that they can kill them themselves.
Korea has no capital punishment law, so the worst they can get is life time sentence and some Koreans are saying it isn't enough and they need to be brutally killed.
And you know what? I might join that crowd. 280 students (age 17 ~ 18) drowned when they could have been easily saved.

Fucking imbeciles.

• Thank you received: 35

Arrocee replied the topic: Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

I'd seen the news. It's heartbreaking. I'm not sure how angry I would feel if I were S. Korean and closer to the incident. On one hand, 31 minutes and ignoring what should be obvious rescue measures constitutes neglect. It's almost like a hit and run, so manslaughter? But people don't willingly drown others so I can only conclude that they were stupidly preoccupied with their own survival. That's extreme selfishness and incompetence, but I just don't feel that they really wanted this outcome. So I'm mixed on what proper retribution would be...

I am currently gathering data to write a long post at the Inn about this incident. The damage of this accident is too big.

Over half of students from a single high school died. The high school is effectively done. The business around the school is effectively done. A whole area where students lived, it has become a ghost town.

Because Koreans normally have one child only, over 200 families have had their future completely ruined.

Further investigation shows that the crew had 43 minutes total. The crew was told to evacuate passengers and they refused even when they were told rescue ships were coming in 10 minutes. They were kind enough to tell passengers to "stay put" as they made out with a life boat.

Majority of Koreans, including myself, are really, really, angry right now at the captain and his crew. I am disappointed at how the rescue operations has been going but I expected as much, but the captain and the crew, if I was allowed, I would love to personally kill them even if it means I will get a life sentence by doing so. And I am sure a lot of Koreans share my feelings at this moment.

The captain and the crew have better get life sentences for their sake. If they are ever released, I doubt they will be fine. Some people will go after them.

• Thank you received: 7

blade replied the topic: Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

i've been keeping up with this. Its truely sad to see people who have a job to do, a important one with responsibilities just drop it because it is too hard to do.

• Thank you received: 4

mbr replied the topic: Capsized South Korea ferry bound to Jeju island.

I flew to Jeju twice in the past 18 months. Pretty sad about the ferry. Hope the families can find some peace. The recent losses of Malaysian Airline Flights were bad too.

hello,
what should i do to have the links for perfect couple?
and if you have an idea to where i c...
In my opinion, Wanderer's ace is better. It's shorter and has bolder messages.
Glad you liked it I enjoyed editing it.
There's a related story titled Haunted School: Wanderer's ...
Guest - KawaiiLovah
Aww that's the ending? and here I was thinking they may have more adventures to show us.. It was a g...
Download link has been added. But I worked on until vol 8, no further than that.
Hello. I really like this story n i wish to know how its ending. I wish to read this story till the ...
Guest - zxcvbnm,.
She got her wish, sort of.
And pur queen is a sleeping badass. :d
Account manually activated.
What is your e-mail address in question?